Monday, December 8, 2008

Friends & The Passion of Photography

Ran into a friend and fellow photographer today while out on lunch. We had a good few minutes chatting and what a refreshing chat it was. We caught up on what each other was doing in areas of our lives and especially on what we've been learning in photography and the paid jobs we've had the opportunity to do and how we got those jobs and how much we change and so on... basically sharing business know-how and sharing about our lives.

You'll understanding why I found that chat so refreshing when I put things into perspective. You see, last week I had a really bad experience with a fellow photographer and friend, whom I have known for a few years. But lately, he'd become dodgy and basically keeps to himself especially when it comes to a lot of the freelance work he does. His attitude seems changed and he now "keeps all the cards close to his chest" so to speak. While on the other hand I have always kept him in the loop concerning a lot of the shoots I do and what I've learnt out of them.

Whats more, while I'm basically straight talking and share a lot of my results from the photography and camera tests that I do and I often lament the equipment that I use and complain where I feel they are lacking, this photography friend of mine seems unable to accept what I say and even called me a "fanboy" the other day. Which seems strange because while I often complain about things I find in brands other that the one I normally use, I often give hell to the brand of camera that I do use when I find that something is amiss. Simply because I like to have high expectations.

I think that when you share what you know with people who are likewise open and forthcoming like yourself, one gains from the other people's experience and knowledge and other people gain from yours. I feel like a fool when people just take and don't share anything in return. So that's why when I met my friend today, the conversation was so so refreshing. Unlike getting questions and queries dodged from that other guy, this friend of mine was really nice forthcoming and told me straight up what he knew.

Most of us are not dumb, we weren't born yesterday. We are kinda able to tell if someone is being upfront or dodgy. While I can smell a rat when there's one. I can also smell the roses when they are around. The roses is what makes photography interesting, fresh, and helps keep my creativity. I guess the lesson I've learnt is for me is to find and keep the right kind of friends and colleagues. The ones that help you maintain your passion.

No comments: