Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Canon Camera Quality Control Catches Up To Reality

Canon finally seems to have come clean with defects on its flagship Powershot camera... the Canon Powershot G10. This same defect was identified by yours truly last November. Spotted the defect within the first week of shooting and the first time I took the camera out.

But one major question remains, why has Canon taken so long to admit the problem? As I have mentioned in my November post, the problem is so glaring it could easily be spotted... IF Canon had done any quality control at all. Perhaps now that the camera is more than 6 months old and sales have tapered, that Canon thinks its safe now to announce the problem and offer to have it fixed. sigh. If my conjecture is correct, its another instance of corporate greed and Canon arrogance at work again.

However, all is not fixed yet. Canon has still to address the "blur band" across the center of the viewfinder. This "blur band" gets larger has you zoom in and was also identified in my November post. I guess for Canon, if they think they can get away with it, they will try to. And if they get caught, the company will try and lie its way out of things. Only when it can't get off by lying will it offer to remedy the defect.

Canon is getting its ass kicked by Nikon now. It can continue to bury its head in the sand and pretend that all is fine. Suites me one way or the other because I use whatever is the best tool for the job at the time. Be it Canon or Nikon or any other brand.

Good luck Canon.

No comments: