Saturday, October 3, 2009

Friends & the Passon of Photography 2

Its been slightly over 3 months since I've posted to this my blog. The main reason is that I've been reflecting on some of the things I see and now I've decided to post this so that I'll get this out of the way and move on.

Bear with me as I recount a few incidents that will be used to make my point. A number of months ago I posted an article which described my personal experiences on what kind of photographers one should get along with... those who have a passion for photography and are willing to share and learn with you. Versus those who simply make use of other people and hoard all the information and know-how and only seek to learn from you without giving. A friend of mine advised me to take it down and give the person a chance. I also thought perhaps I was wrong and it was all a misunderstanding. One bad taste doesn't mean that one apple is rotten right? Since taking down that post out of respect to my friend and her advice, I have since felt and still do feel that I had been right in my assessment of that person all along. I felt suppressed in my own thoughts and feelings. I've been mulling about it in my mind. Its as if some people turn from Mr Hyde into Dr Jeckyl when they pick up a camera. And that bothers me. I've since put it back up for obvious reasons. Its here.

Now back to the continuation of the story... A few weeks ago, I did some photography for a couple of good friends who were getting married. I know both the bride and groom. Being responsible for ushering in guests to the wedding, I didn't do much shooting, until only after when it was clear no more new guests were coming and the wedding was well progressing did I being firing away (b4 that only candid shots). Next thing that came was really strange, that same photographer came over and quietly said to me that guest were still coming in. I immediately made my way out to the foyer and withing 10 seconds I was out there. It was a small church. As I was getting out to the foyer, a couple who were also ushers were on their way back in, having stood out in the foyer. Still, I went out to check and there was not a single soul in sight. I though it strange and didn't think more about it and quickly went back to cover the wedding. It was then that same photographer, when he saw me again seemed more determined to get more shots. He also seemed slightly agitated that "I had returned" and that seemed to make him more eager to fire away with his camera. In fact, he was so eager that he began to be "getting in my way" pretty often whereas I would make sure I didn't get in his way and take shots carefully. Usually as professionals, we photographers know to keep out of each others' "line of fire". So it seemed really odd to me that I was being blocked.

In both instances, its that same photographer. Some of you reading this may think that I'm being really naive and that I should really get over it and move on. Perhaps he's just a jackass. Others may think that this is now big deal, that its very common and one shouldn't be paying too much attention to it anyway. I think that's both correct.

But how does one then reconcile this fact with the fact that I'm in photography for the creative expression and that photography has to be fun and that once that is being tampered with I then tend to loose my creative excitement? And also the fact that I'm a nice guy generally and like to share and learn from others? Whereas there are others out there that are quite simply - feral.

Also since taking down my original post about that bad experience / taste, I have felt that I suppressed my own self even though I had made a correct assessment of the situation and there are more instances btw. But really when there is a clear trend, I really can't be stupid twice. I guess he just turns into Dr Jeckyl or Jerk when he picks up a camera. Stay clear from such kinds of people, especially when they are about to pick up a camera. This sounds crazy but its true.

So what do I do?

Here's what I'll and this will be the "moving forward":

1) Continue to be a nice guy. What?!? I hear some of you say. Pro photography esp in Fashion is cut throat. Nice guys get trampled on. Well that's me and I'm not going to compromise my character for this. Plus, doing so will eventually kill my passion anyhow. So being like the rest of them is definitely no go.

2) Carefully pick the ones I call my friends when it comes to Photography. And not just photography but those things in life where passion from your heart is important. Choose people who build you up and not those who leave you with a sour or bad after taste. Continue to learn, give, share, and grow with those who share the same passion AND are willing to share, learn, and give as you do.

3) Last of all, go out and take more photos and grow your passion!

With that lets move on soul and let your passion grow to new heights!

Looking forward to do more posts here from now on.

No comments: