Sunday, January 4, 2009

Californian Redwoods


Stumbling upon a forest of Californian Redwoods - Sequoia Sempervirens, which were planted in 1938 presumably by the local loggers, I decided to take a few shots and also to stand in the shallow section of the river in order to capture the scene from the middle.

I stood for an entire 40 minutes or so in the water, trusting my Gortex lined hiking boots from Colorado's "Titanium" range to keep my feet dry. They did, until about the last 10 mins or so when moisture started getting in at the seams. My feet didn't get really wet. Just moist. My boots did keep me dry for the most part though.


After getting up from the river bank and about a good 30 minutes later, I felt something crawling around my lower left leg. What I learnt from my time in the jungles while in the Army was, "If it itches once scratch it. If it itches in the same spot again, you better check it!" I did and was horrified to find a little leech crawling around. Luckily it hadn't begun to bite. So I just flicked it off. No big deal. But I did find a clean spot to sit down, remove all my boots, check my feet and toes, and roll up my trousers and made sure there weren't anymore of them sticking to me! And no I didn't have the peace of mind to capture a shot of that leech on my leg before I flicked it away. Were the shots worth it? You bet!

No comments: